In a message dated 11/27/2002 8:18:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Please explain how issuing a ruling stating simply that "The US
Consitution is silent on the matter of abortion, therfore this is an
issue to be decided by Congress, or alternatively, the several States"
requires ignoring or rewriting the Constitution.

I am most curious in anyone's answer to this question.
The constitution was written two centuries ago. Abortion was not an issue then. Neither was telecommunications baseball anti-trust exemptions or most of what we will deal with in the early 21st century. But the constitution provides general rules about which part of goverment does which things and what kind of things can be legislated. So the supreme courts abortion ruling dealt with an unforeseen consequence of the constitution. The strength of the document is that it provides a balance between indiviudal and societal rights; between the roles of various aspects of government.

As to your other statements about americans attitudes towards abortion. You said americans were against abortion and I challenged you on this. Your response was to list aspects of the abortion debate that different people find difficult to accept. These are complex issues (what are the rights of an underage pregnant women? Under what circumstances can second trimester abortions be performed? The debates about these questions are healthy and necessary since these are difficult ethical moral and legal questions. But concerns about some aspects of abortion does not imply rejection of all abortions