Erik Reuter wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 06:34:36PM -0600, Robert Seeberger wrote:
> >
> > From: "Alberto Monteiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > > Australia must be a blessed land. Here in Brazil they sell TVs in
> > > inches (1 inch = 2 cm). Is there any job opportunity for a starship
> > > pilot and an intense care pediatrician over there?
> >
> > Uh.......1 inch is not equal to 2 centimeters.  Very rough
> > approximation maybe.
>
> Not even a good approximation, since 1inch = 2.54cm (exactly), to round
> to one digit it would be approximately 3cm.

But 2 inches = 5 cm is a half-decent approximation (and one I use now
and again, most notably interchanging 4 inches / 10 cm).

The other approximation I use for distance is 1 mile = 1.6 km, and I
know *that's* not exact.  (I think it's more like 1 mile = 1.609 km.)
And my speedometer has a digital readout and can toggle between miles
and kilometers, and 120 kph is approximately 74 mph.  (And I can tell
you who *not* to try to follow if you don't want to speed by 15 kph or
so -- it's the guy I was following when I originally made that
determination.)

        Julia