----- Original Message -----
From: "Reggie Bautista" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: African not "black" enough?

> Dan wrote:
> >My "daughter" Nelli and I had a long talk last night about world
politics,
> >Africa, Europe, the US, land mines, Iraq, etc.  Toward the end of it we
> >discussed multi-generation African Americans.  She said that that she
has
> >been told repeatedly that she wasn't "black enough" because she takes
hard
> >classes, goes to model UN, etc., instead of "chilling."  She noted that
> >first generation African Americans do much better than muli-generation
> >African Americans.
> >
> >I've got a couple of questions about this:
> >
> >Is this a reasonable sample?
> >
> >Why?
>
> The NPR show "Public Interest" (now called The Kojo Nnamdi Show) talked
> about that issue a couple of years ago.  The guest was Edward R.
> Braithwaite, the author who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel, _To
Sir,
> With Love_ which was made into a movie starring Sidney Poitier.
>
> This is all from memory...  Braithwaite stated that when he travels to US
> Colleges and Universities, he frequently encounters the idea among
African
> American students that writing "like white people" is a betrayal of their
> culture.  However, in Africa, learning to speak and write well is valued
> very highly.
>
> So yes, I would say it's a reasonable sample of an unreasonable behavior,
if
> I understand your question correctly.
>
> By the way, I just checked and the broadcast is available in realaudio at
> http://www.wamu.org/pi/shows/piarc_000313.html#thursday
>
> Reggie Bautista
> >From memory, hoping I haven't misrepresented anything Maru

Thanks to you and Julia for the confirmation.  Actually, its too bad that
this isn't an isolated incident.

Dan M.

LEGAL NOTICE
By writing a post that I respond to, you have agreed beforehand to transfer
the balance in your checking account, your savings account, your retirement
account, the cash value of your possessions to me at my request.