>> Actually, at least three, which I have.
>
>A little search shows that there are now four Flash albums.<!>

Yeah, I just found allmusic.com, and have been spending a few hours there ..

>> Now here's something I've never had a satisfactory answer to:
>>
>> Yes was famous for its volume-control lead guitar sound.  Steve Howe did
>it
>> in Yes, and Peter Banks did it in Flash, but Banks didn't really do it on
>> his albums with Yes.
>
>In 7 or so years of hanging out on alt.music.yes I have never heard of such
>a thing. Could you explain exactly what it is you are talking about?
>

>> SO, was Howe imitating Banks, or was Banks imitating Howe?
>>

>I suppose it could be argued that Howe played a bit in Banks style for the
>sake of continuity. But the guitar sounds on "Time And A Word" and "The Yes
>Album" are strikingly different. I think the guitar riffs ...

I'm not talking riffs, I'm talking lead.

To make a slow attack on notes, they manipulate a volume control.  That's
the heart of the slow parts of the "Yes lead guitar sound."  I'd never
heard it before I heard it with them.  It's on Flash albums, too.  But it's
not really on either of the first two Yes albums. SO, one of the guitarists
is imitating the other, but I don't know which.

>I think it is also noteworthy that TYA begins the Yes "Canon" and it is the
>introduction of Steve Howe that is the catalyst here. Wakeman doesnt show up
>til "Fragile" yet TYA is considered the first "Great" Yes album.
>[Yes canon runs til "Going For The One"]

... and then they kinda froze the sound, so I could spend the late 80s and
early 90s razzing CI$ RockNetters: "If it's progressive, why does it still
sound the same?"

>Also noteworthy is Steve Howes run of Guitarist of the Year awards, totally
>dominating the 70s. 5 consecutive I believe.

But Peter Banks played with Jan Akkerman. Nyeah!  (I didn't know about that
early collab listed in allmusic.com ...)

I stopped being impressed by Howe's technique when I heard Larry Coryell
and then John McLaughlin.  I like Howe's first solo album, but more for the
vocal experiments.

Banks' playing always sounds more fun.  Heck, Yes did concerts where they
all faced away from each other.  Might as well put on a CD and save the
concert money for bands that improv a bit.

I always enjoyed "One Live Badger," too ...
---
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://just-john.com/cn/rfe.shtml *