At 22:21 06-01-2003 -0500, John Giorgis wrote:

>Football isn't reality.  The tradeoff between a possible death toll of
>hundreds of thousand (2 A-bombs) and a highly probable death toll that was
>estimated at close to one hundred thousand is different than the tradeoff
>between a possible death toll of say  ten  millions (50+ bombs) and the
>same probable death toll.  Further, N. Korea would be less likely to sell
>their only nuclear bomb, but would be likely to sell one of 50+.

I can only presume that I am the only Brin-L'er reading your message,
I read his message too, so you are presuming wrongly.

because I am positively stunned that nobody else has called you on this....
Well, I can think of a few explanations for that. Maybe they aren't interested in the topic. Or maybe (and quite likely, IMO) they don't share your interpretation of Dan's post.

Sometimes the failure of you people to see any black-and-white whatsoever
in the world just drives me to the point of insansity (not to mention
running into conflict with other liberal sacred cows).
Actually, most of us realise that nothing in the world *is* really black-and-white; most of us therefore don't see things in black-and-white, but see many shades of grey (or perhaps full colour).

IIRC, you are the only one on this list who has been said (repeatedly) to have a black-and-white worldview, and the only one who fails to see the shades of grey (or all those colours).

BTW, wasn't referring to a group of people as "you people" considered somewhat of an insult in English-speaking countries?

>The problem in Iraq is not the war; I have little doubt that we can handle
>the army in Iraq. Their ability to cause harm during the war is minimal.
>Its what to do afterwards.  Remember what you wrote in 2001 about turning
>Afghanistan into a model country?  What is the reality there, now?  The
>national government controls the capital, while warlords rule the rest of
>the country.

Dan, I can't believe that you who are normally the soudnest voice of reason
and patience on this list has just criticized the Bush Administration for
not turning Afghanistan into a model country less than a year after the war
ended there.
It looked more like an observation than criticism to me. I believe that your suggestion that Dan is suddenly sounding unreasonable and impatient is totally out of place here.

Jeroen "No Nukes" van Baardwijk

LEGAL NOTICE:
By replying to this message, you understand and accept that your replies (both on-list and off-list) may be published on-line and in any other form, and that I cannot and shall not be held responsible for any negative consequences (monetary and otherwise) this may have for you.