on 14/1/03 4:58 pm, Steve Sloan II at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The voyages of the Vikings, Chinese, and Amerigo Vespucci
> are all very impressive, but they all *quit going* after a
> while, kinda like the US and the Moon. ;-) Columbus' trip
> was different, because after he arrived, European presence
> in the New World became permanent, and never stopped.
> Columbus' timing was just better.
William T Goodall wrote:

So does that mean that the US Moon landings might end up
getting disregarded in some future history books because
it's somebody else who eventually establishes a permanent
manned presence there?
Quite possibly. However, there's another big difference between
Columbus and Apollo -- TV cameras. I remember reading somebody's
comment about this very subject, a few years back: "Columbus
wasn't first -- he just had the best PR." The Vikings didn't
advertise their discovery to the rest of Europe, Vespucci wasn't
believed (IIRC), and I would imagine there was an Imperial edict
in China to erase the court eunuchs' discovery from the records.
Columbus had money for a big expedition from powerful patrons,
and he used that position to promote his discovery across Europe.
Steve Sloan ......... Huntsville, Alabama =========> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brin-L list pages .............................. http://www.brin-l.org
Chmeee's 3D Objects .................... http://www.sloan3d.com/chmeee
3D and Drawing Galleries .................. http://www.sloansteady.com
Software ................ Science Fiction, Science, and Computer Links
Science fiction scans ......................... http://www.sloan3d.com