Dan Minette wrote:

Indeed, what  was surprising to even me was that income is a minimal factor
in the response to abuse.  I can refer to "Economic Dependence and Battered
Wives Returning to Their Abusers", a 1983 Master's Thesis by Teresa
Summers-Minette.  This thesis studied  about 200 battered women who were
resident in a battered woman's shelter.  About half returned to their
abuser.  There was no measurable correlation between economic dependence
and the probability of returning to their abusers.

Second, let me relate the socioeconomic/educational  position of my wife's
Teri's abuser.  He is a full professor in sociology. He has a very strong
reputation in his field.  Her family certainly could not be called
uneducated and poor.  He

Education, social standing, economic conditions have minimal, if any,
correlation with abuse. They do, however, have significant correlation with
the ability of the family to hide their shame.

But isn't economic stress a major factor in abuse? And wouldn't the poor be more susceptible to economic stress?

Doug

GCU Don't Know for Sure