This seems worth sharing.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:31:32 -0000
From: "drstopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [clearspringzendo] Columbia tragedy

Om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha....

Feb. 2, 2003 -- NPR received many letters from listeners the day
Columbia crashed. 'Weekend Edition Sunday' host Liane Hansen read the
following letter, from 16-year-old Jessi Hall, in Jamestown, Ohio, on
air. The teen-ager wrote:

This morning (Saturday) I was on my way back home from a music
competition and mom turned the radio to NPR. We heard the middle of
an interview with someone who had seen something tragic, but neither
he nor the interviewer said anything pertaining to what it was until
the interview was over.

When we heard it was the shuttle Columbia, it was like a blow. There
was nothing to say. Somehow it seemed too distant from us that it
couldn't have happened, but it had. When we got home, I sat down at
the computer and wrote a poem about my experience and reaction to the
news.

I frequently write poetry as a way to vent, and a way to express my
feelings. I feel there is no other way to tell the families of their
loved ones who were lost in the tragedy how deeply all Americans have
been shaken.

Jessi Hall's poem:

sitting in the car talking to my mom
i heard the man say 'debris'
i thought of the Columbia but I wanted to be sure
he said the trail was purple
and too wide to be one piece we hung on his every word
it seemed to me an eternity
had passed before we knew that the crew of seven
on their way back to family
had been left in space amidst the stars to sleep

oh starry skies will keep them safe
but what of us down here
tears are shed for those who stay
in orbit 'round reality
oh starry skies will hide the fear
of all there is to come
grief is felt for those who say
"you see that bright star winking at us now,
that bright star is my dad"
"you see that star that sped along the sea,
that shooting star is my mom"