From: "Andrew Crystall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Axis of Weasel
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 22:05:53 -0000

On 5 Feb 2003 at 8:00, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> --- "Marvin Long, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Gautam Mukunda wrote:
> >
> > > The US has consistently (and
> > > mistakenly, in my opinion) encouraged the creation
> > and
> > > expansion of the European Union.
> >
> > Why mistakenly?
> >
> > Marvin Long
>
> Several reasons.  First, I think the European Union is
> profoundly anti-democratic.  It concerns me greatly,

What's so wonderful about *reprisentative* democracy? Every time I
read about how wonderful it is, I remember that Hitler being elected.

Representative democracy doesn't prevent Hitler's from attaining power. The purpose of representative democracy is to 'theoretically' allow the will of the majority of the people to be heard.

Democracy is fine in theory, but I have a HUGE problem with how it
works in practice. Especially in the USA.

> The central thrust of the European Union the way it is
> structured is a transfer of power from the elected
> representatives of the various nations of Western
> Europe to an unelected bureaucracy in Brussels.  It's

*snicker*

Could you elaborate, please?

> Third, if it succeeds in fully unifying Europe, that
> might actually be the worst outcome.  This would
> inevitably become a Europe essentially run by France
> and Germany as a co-Dominion.  It would probably

Okay. This is what convinces me you're not looking at the situation
anything like clearly. The Franco-German axis is NOT popular right
now inside Europe. If anything, England, Spain and other countries
have the whip hand.
Do they? I haven't seen anything that reflects this on, say the BBC, FREX. Can you point me in the direction of a credible news source that could explain further?

Also, France is a permanent member of the UN Security Council. Germany's term doesn't end until 2004. All it takes is one French vote, and any proposal is outta there.