In a message dated 2/18/2003 9:37:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Thanks for the clarification - I should have defined
> "significant concussion/CHI" more accurately. However,
> even minor head trauma/concussions, if repeated over
> time, can cause subtle neurological deficits, some of
> which are long-term.

Absolutely. And the effects potentiate over time (later concussions do more damage).
This the basis of Punch Drunk Syndrome (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy). The problem
is that the full blown syndrome typically occurs years after cessation of boxing
(interestingly the second most common activity to cause of CTE is soccer. It occurs in
players who do a lot of "headers").

Imaging studies typically show nothing but my group just published a paper revealing
alteration in whole brain diffusion in boxers. It got a bit of buzz in the national
press.