On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:39:03 -0000, Alberto Monteiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Sonja wrote:

The Dutch calling themselves 'Hollanders' has it's roots in history (I believe somewhere in the 80 years war (...)

Which war is that? A 50 year extension of the 30 Years War, or a 20
year truce in the 100 Years War? :-)

Alberto Monteiro

The 80 years war was a revolt in the sixteenth century of the low lands against the Spanish. This war eventually lead to the Republik of the United Netherlands in the "peace of Munster". Whne the war exactly started is not clear but it is said to be 1568. It ended with the peace of Munster in 1648. During the war there was however a 12 year cease fire during which there were no hostilities. A number of major events took place during this war among which the reformation, the Unie of Utrecht and the revolt against the Spanish King. It is the basis for our country (and also our monarchy b.t.w.) as it is today. If you are very interested I could attempt to find more information, but so far most I found is in Dutch.

Sonja