> From: Richard Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> The Fool said:
>
> > Yup, more and more homogenized CRAP.
>
> But does that really matter as long as lots of good music is being
> produced too? I think that peer-to-peer filesharing provides an
> excellent facility for exploring new types of music, and there's lots
> of great songs still being produced (for example, I've recently started
> listening to European goth-metal bands with great female vocals like
> The Gathering and Lacuna Coil). Certainly, before I started using
> online filesharing I'd pretty much given up buying CDs because the
> other media weren't playing anything that I liked, but now I'm buying
> more than ever - they're just more obscure, sometimes to the point at
> which I have to buy them online rather than in stores. In fact, there's
> probably only a handful of bands or singers I like (say, Radiohead,
> Zwan, the Flaming Lips, Norah Jones, Tori Amos) that get anywhere near
> the mainstream media.
>
> Rich, who finds it very easy to ignore the vast quantities of faceless
> dance music and passionless teenpop that fills television and radio.

But where will this good music be produced?  (it's not even being
produced now).  This system will be a computer telling people what they
will like.  It will also feedback upon itself.  Record companies will
only fund 'hits' designated by this computer.  There will be even less
variety, and eventually the whole music system will collapse.

Lets take this even further.  Eventually technology like this will be
applied to television and movies.  Even books (fiction) will decide by
computers.  How long before they can get rid of the 'artist' altogether
and just have the computer write the music, the books, make the movies?