http://archive.nytimes.com/2003/03/16/politics/16HEAL.html

Bush Pushes Plan to Curb Medicare Appeals
By ROBERT PEAR


WASHINGTON, March 15 � The Bush administration says it is planning major
changes in the Medicare program that would make it more difficult for
beneficiaries to appeal the denial of benefits like home health care and
skilled nursing home care.

In thousands of recent cases, federal judges have ruled that frail
elderly people with severe illnesses were improperly denied coverage for
such services.

In the last year, Medicare beneficiaries and the providers who treated
them won more than half the cases � 39,796 of the 77,388 Medicare cases
decided by administrative law judges. In the last five years, claimants
prevailed in 186,300 cases, for a success rate of 53 percent.

Under federal law, the judges are independent, impartial adjudicators who
hold hearings and make decisions based on the facts. They must follow the
Medicare law and rules, but are insulated from political pressures and
sudden shifts in policy made by presidential appointees.

President Bush is proposing both legislation and rules that would limit
the judges' independence and could replace them in many cases.

The administration's draft legislation says, "The secretary of health and
human services may use alternate mechanisms in lieu of administrative law
judge review" to resolve disputes over Medicare coverage.

Under the legislative proposal, cases could be decided by arbitration or
mediation or by lawyers or hearing officers at the Department of Health
and Human Services. The department recently began testing the use of
arbitration in Connecticut under a law that permits demonstration
projects. 

Tommy G. Thompson, the secretary of health and human services, said the
proposed legislative changes would give his agency "flexibility to reform
the appeals system" so the government could decide cases in a more
"efficient and effective manner."

The department said there was an "urgent need for improvements to the
Medicare claim appeal system," in part because the number of appeals was
rising rapidly.

Consumer groups, administrative law judges and lawyers denounced the
proposals. Judith A. Stein, director of the Center for Medicare Advocacy
in Willimantic, Conn., said, "The president's proposals would compromise
the independence of administrative law judges, who have protected
beneficiaries in case after case, year after year."

Beneficiaries have a personal stake in the issue. When claims are denied,
a beneficiary often must pay tens of thousands of dollars for services
already received. 

In a typical case, an administrative law judge ordered Medicare to pay
for 230 home care visits to a 67-year-old woman with breast cancer, heart
disease and arthritis. Medicare officials had said the woman should pay
the cost. But the judge ruled that because the woman was homebound, the
services were "reasonable and necessary." 

When federal agencies issue rules or decide cases, they generally must
follow the Administrative Procedure Act, a 1946 law intended to guarantee
the fairness of government proceedings.

Ronald G. Bernoski, president of the Association of Administrative Law
Judges, said: "We see President Bush's proposals as a serious assault on
the Administrative Procedure Act, a stealth attack on the rights of
citizens to fair, impartial hearings. These hearings guarantee due
process of law, as required by the Constitution."

The American Bar Association and the Federal Bar Association, which
represents lawyers who practice in federal courts and before federal
agencies, have expressed similar concerns.

Health care providers, which are involved in many of the appeals, share
those concerns.

Robert L. Roth, a Washington lawyer who has represented hospitals and
suppliers of medical equipment, said: "The interests of providers and
beneficiaries are aligned. Access to an independent decision maker, an
administrative law judge, is quite valuable because it's often your first
opportunity to get a fair review of government action."

Medicare officials could adopt the proposed rules, regardless of whether
Congress accepts Mr. Bush's recommendation for changes in the law.

The proposed rules would require administrative law judges to "give
deference" to policies adopted by Medicare and its contractors, which
review and pay claims for the government. Beneficiaries would have to
show why such policies should be disregarded.

That would be a significant change. Administrative law judges are now
required to follow Medicare statutes and regulations, but not the
agency's policies. As a result, the judges often grant benefits
previously denied by the Medicare agency or its contractors.

In the Connecticut experiment, arbitration will be used to resolve some
claims disputes, and beneficiaries may opt out. If this approach produces
prompt, fair decisions with less paperwork, it could be a model for
Congress in changing the appeals process. 

But Matthew L. Spitzer, dean of the University of Southern California Law
School, said that consumers "should think long and hard before they agree
to binding arbitration." It is, he said, extremely difficult to overturn
an arbitrator's decision. 

Ms. Stein, who has represented Medicare patients in hundreds of cases,
agreed. "The president proposes replacing administrative law judges with
some form of dispute resolution," Ms. Stein said. "This puts
beneficiaries at a disadvantage, with unequal bargaining power and
inadequate expertise to do battle with the Medicare agency."

The judges are full-time government employees who typically receive
salaries of $95,000 to $140,000 a year.

To ensure that federal agency hearings would be fair, Congress in 1946
protected the decision makers, providing that they could be dismissed or
demoted "only for good cause." The judges who hear Medicare cases have
extra protection because they are employed by the Social Security
Administration, an independent agency.

Congress revamped the appeals process in 2000, to enhance the rights of
beneficiaries and to expedite decisions. The changes were supposed to
take effect in October 2002. But Medicare officials said that without
more money, they could not meet the new deadlines, so they have postponed
many of the changes.

Medicare officials said they wanted to end the arrangement under which
Social Security judges decide Medicare cases. They have announced plans
to transfer responsibility for hearing appeals to the Medicare agency
from Social Security, and they hope to do so by Oct. 1. 

A bipartisan bill introduced by Representative Nancy L. Johnson,
Republican of Connecticut, would make the transfer in 2005. The bill
requires the secretary of health and human services to preserve the
judges' role as independent decision makers.

The potential for conflict seems to be inherent in the relationship
between agency officials and administrative law judges, with tensions
flaring periodically. In 1983, the Association of Administrative Law
Judges filed a lawsuit, saying that Social Security officials appointed
by President Ronald Reagan had put improper pressure on them to deny
benefits to people with disabilities.

A Federal District Court found that Social Security had engaged in
practices "of dubious legality," which tended to encroach on the judges'
independence. The agency halted the practices after the lawsuit was
filed.

_______________________________________________
http://www.mccmedia.com/mailman/listinfo/brin-l

Reply via email to