Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

>> Ok, so we can assume that the Sun will keep its current orbit around
>> the Galaxy. But what about other stars?
>
> Then you could always do what you do to extrapolate solar system
> positions:  start with the current positions and velocities of all the
> stars for which you have data, compute the gravitational forces between
> each pair of stars, then do a stepwise integration.  (Of course, you do
> have access to large blocks of time on a Cray, don't you?)

:-)))))))))

No, but I guess I have some quite weird ideas that I _could_
use if I needed to do that

> And you'll need
> to approximate the general gravitational field of the galaxy as a
> whole.  For a description of that, as well as the kind of orbits stars
> follow in the galactic gravitational field, probably the standard text

Ok, I will take a look at them when I am (allegedly) working O:-)
[anything that has any semblance to orbital dynamics is fair
game in my job]

>However, I suspect that over the time periods you're talking about (a few
>x10^6 years), there will be at most only a few close enough encounters
>between stars to significantly affect the paths of the stars.  Stars are
>really w—i—d—e—ly separated in our neighborhood of the galaxy.  (You are
>not concerned with the stars in the central regions of a globular cluster
>or near Sgr A*, which are about the only places they are really crowded . . . )

Unless I am trying to identify Trantor :-)

BTW, is Proxima gravitationally bound with Alfa Centauri A and B?

On a tangential note, the Jijo books mention that Izmunuti is 1 light-year
away from Jijo-S [whose name is Ganjoo - I guess]. Is it possible that
they can keep such a long distance for millions of years? I don't think
they can be gravitationally bound that far

>Actually, the "Celestia 2000" program mentioned there fits on a CD-ROM, and
>I think that must include the data from the catalog, since it runs without
>needing anything else.  That program is mainly for statistical searches,
>e.g., "list all the stars in the HIP/TYC catalog within <n> parsecs of the
>Sun (i.e. with parallax greater than 1/n arcseconds) whose annual motion is
>between <lower limit> and <upper limit>," but that's not really what you
>need.  So you'll need to download the catalog and write a program to read
>it and do the calculations you need.

I once trying to find Nexon-Solaria, based on the fact that they should
be G-type stars that lie about 2 parsecs apart. I ended up with too many
pairs :-(

Alberto Monteiro