<<http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993459>>

> Black cats may be the more fortunate felines
<sniplet>
> Black cats, a symbol of bad luck in many cultures,
> may be actually be more
> fortunate than their fairer relatives. New research
> shows that black coats
> have evolved separately many times in different
> species of cat - indicating
> that dark fur has a survival benefit.
>
> Furthermore, the mutations leading to a black coat
> are in the same gene
> family as those involved in human diseases like
> AIDS, so it may be that
> black cats are more resistant to disease than
> others. Of the 37 species of
> cat that exist, 11 can have black coats.
>
> Eduardo Eizirik, an evolutionary geneticist at the
> US National Cancer
> Institute in Maryland, says: "There are parallels
> with humans. [The gene
> mutation system found] does have parallels with
> other systems potentially involved in disease."
>
> But he told New Scientist that the most likely
> benefit of a black coat was
> camouflage for hunting... <snip rest>

Or hiding from your owner/feeder/grooming slave.  ;)
Zimba apparently doesn't realize that because he's a
"tuxedo**" cat instead of pure black, I can usually
spot him in the night, as he's watching me call him
and he assumes that he's "invisible"...

Currys, Shedding Blades And Combs Maru
** white cravat, spats and tail-tip => Tuxedo!  :)