At 09:55 PM 5/28/03 -0400, Kevin Tarr wrote:
At 05:28 PM 5/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:

<<http://www.ucsc.edu/news_events/press_releases/text.asp?pid=355>>

May 27, 2003
Contact: Tim Stephens (831) 459-2495; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
UC Santa Cruz Press Release

Massive tsunami sweeps Atlantic Coast in asteroid impact scenario
for March 16, 2880

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SANTA CRUZ, CA--If an asteroid crashes into the Earth, it is likely to
splash down somewhere in the oceans that cover 70 percent of the planet's
surface. Huge tsunami waves, spreading out from the impact site like the
ripples from a rock tossed into a pond, would inundate heavily populated
coastal areas. A computer simulation of an asteroid impact tsunami developed
by scientists at the University of California, Santa Cruz, shows waves as
high as 400 feet sweeping onto the Atlantic Coast of the United States.

<snip>

Computer simulations not only give scientists a better handle on the
potential hazards of asteroid impacts, they can also help researchers
interpret the geologic evidence of past events, Ward said. Geologists have
found evidence of past asteroid impact tsunamis in the form of inland
sediment deposits and disturbed sediment layers in the seafloor that
correlate with craters, meteorite fragments, and other impact evidence. An
important feature of Ward's simulation is that it enabled him to calculate
the speed of the water flows created by the tsunami at the bottom of the
ocean--more than 3 feet per second out to distances of several hundred miles
from the impact.

Splat Maru

What I want to know is: How far inland will a 400 foot wave cause destruction? I don't think Deep Impact was a bad movie, near the end after the hit, they used awful animation to show the waves lapping up the eastern seaboard hills. Just wondering.

Well, I'm about 760 feet above sea level here . . .

Kevin T. - VRWC
So you're a feminist...ain't that cute?

You're apparently feeling suicidal tonight . . .

-- Ronn! :)

God bless America,
Land that I love!
Stand beside her, and guide her