http://www.petitiononline.com/eldred/petition.html

http://www.petitiononline.com/progress/petition.html

We have gathered over 6,000 signatures on our petition in a single day.
That is extraordinary progress.

Yet there are many who are frustrated that this doesn’t go far enough.
Many on Slashdot, for example, demand that we “hold out” for something
much more radical. That this would be a “compromise” and that we should
never “compromise.”

We should never compromise. But we must take first steps. We are where we
are because most people don’t believe in the public domain. Most people
don’t even understand it. We live in a time when the public domain is
more than 75 years old. Yet for most of our history, the public domain
was no more than 30 years old. If ordinary people could see the
creativity that would be inspired if the 1960s were in the public domain,
they would understand again the importance of limiting the regulation
that copyright law has become.

They will only understand it if we build it. They will only get it when
they see the creativity it would inspire, and the knowledge it will
spread. We need to show them why the public domain is important, by
building it again.

The Public Domain Enhancement Act would do this. And when not 5,000, but
50,000 people join together to say that it should be our first step,
Congress will take it up. Then the burden will be on the otherside to
explain why this obvious change should not occur.

But if you think our petition is too tame — if you think it accepts too
much of current law, and would be read to endorse the status quo — then
sign this alternative. It makes clear that the current system is broken;
it demands radical reforms. But as any reform we achieve can apply to
future copyrights only, we still have to deal with the current law, and
the control it imposes. It therefore also endorses this first step.

Let’s see which view of copyright law better reflects this democracy.
Let’s see just how radical the democracy has become. But on either view,
we should take first steps now. We should build support around obvious
reforms. And we should force them to resist what seems sensible to
everyone else.

The only thing that we should not do is sit back and do nothing, “holding
out” for “radical reform” that will never come on its own.

If you want “radical reform,” than produce 500,000 signatures on this
Reclaim Copyright Law petition. If you want a first step of reform, then
help us get 50,000 signatures to Reclaim the Public Domain.

But either way, do something. Now.

http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/lessig/blog/archives/2003_06.shtml#001259