http://www.augustachronicle.com/stories/071103/met_174-8955.000.shtml

School board approves Bible class

Web posted Thursday, July 10, 2003
By Greg Rickabaugh | Staff Writer
An off-campus Christian education program was approved for a full year
Thursday for one Richmond County school, but some school board members
have growing concerns about the controversial course.

Member Kenneth Echols wondered whether asking organizers to hold it after
school would prevent pupils from missing part of their physical-education
classes.

"Kids need Christianity," he said. But "I know it really interrupts the
teachers and the classes."

On Thursday, the school board voted 8-2 to approve the instruction
committee's recommendation to extend the pilot program at John Milledge
Elementary School, which had 17 pupils last spring leave school to attend
a weekly 45-minute session at Crawford Avenue Baptist Church. The program
is run and funded by Christian Learning Centers, and costs the school
district nothing, school board member Helen Minchew said.

Members John Seitz and Y.N. Myers Jr. voted against extending the
program, but gave no specific reasons during a discussion period.

Board attorney Pete Fletcher said he plans to formulate an evaluation to
see how the school is affected by allowing the children to leave school.
He stressed that the school system would not evaluate the Bible-based
curriculum because the system must remain neutral.

Member Marion Barnes suggested examining the effect on the participants.

"You can look at the students, their character," he said. "Compare it to
others who don't attend the program."

But Mr. Fletcher warned that the school system was avoiding a legal
problem by taking a position of "neutral accommodation, not active
participation."

Mr. Echols worried that allowing children to leave for a program would
open the school system up for requests from other organizations and would
interrupt instruction time. He suggested that religion is a family issue.

"Parents are responsible for raising their children and educating them,"
he said.

Another concern for the board members focused on whether pupils who
didn't attend the program felt pressure for not going. Mr. Fletcher said
the evaluation he will write might cover that issue, along with liability
questions.

The school board will reevaluate the program in a year, when it could
consider expanding it.

Last spring, 17 pupils from Milledge Elementary School were given free
Bibles; shown how to locate specific passages; and taught skills in
memorization, vocabulary, verbal and test-taking skills. Teacher Georgene
Crawford and volunteer aide Patricia Sims also taught the pupils about
conflict resolution and how to control anger.

"The first semester went really well," said Dr. David Miller of the
Christian Learning Centers. "We're hoping we get more kids."

Milledge Principal Anna Reid said she expects to have more interest in
the coming year because many parents didn't understand the program last
year.

"I feel that the program was very beneficial to the Christian experiences
of our students," she wrote in a letter to the school board.

The class is free to pupils, who are required to get parental permission
to attend. Some pupils give up some of their physical-education classes,
but they still receive the state-mandated hours in the class. Other time
is taken from recess and lunch periods.

After 12 sessions in the spring, the teachers passed out a survey. Asked
what they liked best, pupils said the Bible test, praying, memorizing
Bible verses and learning about Jesus' death. Some said there wasn't
enough time in the class and that it was scheduled during PE class.

PUPILS SPEAK

Seventeen pupils who participated in the pilot program last spring were
asked what they learned. Some responses:

"If someone calls you a name, you shouldn't worry about it, just to walk
away. And to hate is a sin."

"To love my enemies at school and not to try to get revenge."

"To know I can go to school, do good, get a job and help others."

"When I go to heaven, I will receive my reward."

"That God never lies."

"To be good, not to fight, but to talk about it."

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the
mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every
expanded project." - James Madison