On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:23:53AM +0000, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

> The main problem is that the pressures calculated for Earth disagree
> with the figures I have for a pilot's standard atmosphere.  In areas
> without clouds, the earth's actual atmosphere is best represented by
> a dry adiabatic lapse rate, which gives a higher pressure than the
> values calculated using Erik's formula.

For earth, that is not just "my" formula -- as I said, one of my
textbooks gives

p/p0 = exp[ -h/hc]

and they do a curve fit to experimental data to find that hc = 8.5km.
And they show a graph of curve fit and experimental data, and the fit
looks pretty good.

You don't say how much lower the formula is compared to the data you
are looking at. The curve fit in my textbook looks to have less than 5%
error, and it may be better than that (it is hard to read the graph very
precisely). What accuracy were you expecting?

> Under these conditions on earth, the dewpoint is 10 degrees Celsius
> (using the usual rule of thumb of a drop of 10 degrees being a
> decrease of half in relative humidity; a detailed calculation done
> using the calculator provided by

>     http://nimbo.wrh.noaa.gov/greatfalls/atmcalc.html

> gives a dewpoint of 9.3 degrees Celsius and a wetbulb temperature of
> 13.9 degrees Celsius; but let's assume a dewpoint of 10 degrees).

> With the usual assumptions of a dewpoint/temperature convergence of
> 8.2 or 8 deg C per km, the cloud bases occur at 1.2 km to 1.25 km or
> about 4000 feet altitude.

That link doesn't give any formulas. I looked at the Javascript and
it is full of "magic numbers". I'm not sure how those algorithms were
derived, but they certainly do not appear to be straightforward physical
formulas. With such a complicated system, so much depends on the
assumptions and approximations that are made. This is not fundamental
physics -- it is a highly applied branch of science. If you don't make
assumptions that are valid for the system being modeled, the results
will be nonsense. Not having studied atmospheric science myself, I don't
know the assumptions that were made to come up with these results. Do
you?

>                Pressure    Standard
>    Altitude     ratio      atm (from one or other FAA handbook)
>
>     0.0 km      1.00        1013 mb               Earth's surface
>     1.0         0.89         980
>     2.0         0.79         760
>     3.0         0.71         700
>     4.0         0.63
>     5.0         0.56
>     5.5         0.53         500
>     6.0         0.50
>     7.0         0.45
>     8.0         0.40

Above one km, it seems the error is less than 5%. I consider that not
too bad given the simplicity of the formula and assumptions that were
used, compared to the actual atmosphere. Is it surprising to you that
the formula is a little off (10%) near the surface?  I can think of many
reasons why the assumptions made in deriving the formula don't hold
exactly near the surface.

It seems to me that you are expecting to calculate all of these
parameters from first principles of physics, but it also appears to me
that the actual numbers used in practice that you quote are not derived
from fundamental physics alone, but also have some phenomenological
constants ("fudge factors") included to make the formulas better fit
actual measured data. This is not unusual when modeling such a complex
system.  Of course, it makes it difficult to calculate the corresponding
values for a habitat, since we don't have any experimental data to fit
to.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/