I don't remember the original thread, but Ritu had
mentioned a study in which near-death experiences were
surveyed; here is one article about that:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/DrJohnson/GMA020108Near_death_experiences.html
"...The study reported in Lancet looked at 344
patients in the Netherlands who were successfully
resuscitated after suffering cardiac arrest in 10
Dutch hospitals.

"Rather than using data from people reporting past
near-death experiences, researchers talked to patients
within a week after they had suffered clinical deaths
and been resuscitated. (Clincical death was defined as
a period of unconsciousness caused by insufficient
blood supply to the brain.)

"About 18 percent of the patients in the study
reported being able to recall some portion of what
happened when they were clinically dead; and 8 to 12
percent reported going through "near-death"
experiences, such as seeing lights at the end of
tunnels, or being able to speak to dead relatives or
friends. Most had excellent recall of the events,
which undermines the theory that the memories are
false, the study said..."

The euphoria some experience probably is related to
endorphin/enkephalin release, but the recall of events
when there isn't any blood flow to the brain *is*
puzzling.

"...Blackmore says science can also explain those
tunnels: Electrical brain scans show that in our last
moments, as the brain is deprived of oxygen, cells
fire frantically and at random in the part of the
brain which govern vision.

"Now, imagine that you've got lots and lots of cells
firing in the middle, towards fewer at the outside,
what's it going to look like? Bright light in the
middle fading off towards dark at the outside,"
Blackmore said. "I think that's where the tunnel comes
from. And as the oxygen level drops, so the bright
light becomes bigger and more immediate, and you get
this sensation of rushing forward into the light."
..."

<grin>  Of course, that means you must imagine that
instead of the documented *random* neuron firing, you
are positing *coordinated* neuron firing...In my own
near-drowning, I saw sparkly lights against a
dark-grey background, which is consistant with a
random-fire pattern

Here is the paper abstract:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11755611&dopt=Abstract
"...We do not know why so few cardiac patients report
NDE after CPR, although age plays a part. With a
purely physiological explanation such as cerebral
anoxia for the experience, most patients who have been
clinically dead should report one."

Debbi
Vehhh-rrrhy Interesting - But Not-Proof Maru