On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 09:54:16PM -0700, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> They _are_.  But their counterexamples aren't.  You, Tom, are so far
> gone in your hatred of everyone who disagrees with you that you can't
> see that there are people on your side of the fence who are equally
> vile as Coulter and Falwell.  But unlike Coulter and Falwell, people
> like Chomsky, Pollitt, and Michael Moore are lauded as heroes.  That's
> the difference, and it's why all your rage and venom has about as much
> relevance to what's really going in American civic discourse as, well,
> Chomsky and Pollitt.

> Now, I think both of them are very important figures, because they
> are extremely influential.  One is the single most cited living
> intellectual.  The other edits the most important magazine of th Left.
> They influence opinion.  But they are also indicators of opinion - and
> the fact that people who believe what they believe are so adulated by
> a fragment of the political spectrum - and so completely immune from
> criticism from _their own side_, as opposed to from the other side,
> tells us something really important.

Perhaps I've misunderstood your argument, Gauatam, but it seems to me
you are quite close to arguing a tautology: those on the Left do not
criticize Leftist extremists, and those who don't criticize Leftist
extremists are lumped into the Left. I have certainly read and spoken to
a number of conservatives who do not criticize Coulter and Falwell, so
the same argument could be made for "the Right".

As a sidenote, do you consider me part of "the Left"? I do share a
number of positions with "the Left", being in favor of a liberal
society, but I also think Chomsky is a kook when he writes about
politics (I don't have an opinion on Pollitt, I don't think I've ever
read anything by Pollitt). Just wondering.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/