--- Matt Grimaldi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jon Gabriel wrote:
> > >From: Deborah Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[William T wrote]

> not
> farm.
> > >
> > ><LOL>
> > >
> > >Peanut Butter Breath Maru   :)
> > >

> > ?? I missed a joke or something. Peanut Butter?
> >

> There was a show recently on the top 20 TV animals,
> one of which was Mr. Ed.  They reported that,
> contrary
> to common belief, the trainers did not use peanut
> butter to get the horse to make those faces, but
> rather
> a small string, which irritated the inside of its
> mouth slightly.
>
> That, and he was several horses since Mr. Ed had
> such a busy social calendar.  (seriously!)

This site claims both were used; I _have_ seen a horse
fed a piece of PBJ sandwich, and he did exaggeratedly
curl his lips and work his mouth.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_029

Here is a site that has many things "Ed:"
http://members.aol.com/mwn3/
(but I'm not sure they mention his double Pumpkin)

I Of Course Adored Mr. Ed And Francis The Talking Mule Maru