At 05:31 PM 10/31/03 -0600, Robert Seeberger wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julia Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 9:14 AM
Subject: Re: It's a boy!

> > > On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Robert Seeberger wrote: > > > But even worse is the hated Hill-Rom equipment. Inside the equipment are > > small plastic electrical connectors that have a tendency to melt, come > > apart, and lose electrical continuity. About 2 years ago I replaced > > every single one of these connectors in our NICU with buttsplices. It > > was 4 or 5 days of work in which I made thousands of crimps. Talk about > > carpel-tunnel pain! > > Buttsplices? >

Yes.
A metal tube, sized to the conductor, that is contained inside another tube
made of a 600 - 1000V insulating material.
You use a "crimping tool"

Think of a pair of pliers with somewhat unusual-looking jaws, which explains the carpal-tunnel pain from repeated use in a short period.

to crimp the metal tube around the bare wire to
hold it solidly in place and to facilitate conduction.
The wires are "butted" together inside the tube and crimped to make a safe
and effective "splice".

See a picture: <<http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/wire_nut/wn_buttspl_vinyl.htm>>

You use the same tool and the same method for "ring lugs" and "fork lugs".
Its a common method for electrical connection and if performed properly, is
more or less permanent and extremely reliable.

xponent
Don't Ask About The Buttplugs Maru
rob

For a temporary connection, one can use "wire nuts".

-- Ronn! :)