<<http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/news/local/7232708.htm>>

Catholic pols scrutinized by bishops
Mull possible sanctions for anti-church stands
By MICHAEL PAULSON
Boston Globe

WASHINGTON - Frustrated that so many Catholic politicians support
abortion rights, the bishops of the United States said yesterday they
will begin evaluating whether they can impose sanctions against elected
officials who vote contrary to church teachings.

In a freewheeling discussion reflecting years of concern, some bishops
suggested that the church should consider punishments ranging from
denying honorary degrees to elected officials, refusing to allow them to
speak at Catholic institutions, or even excommunicating them.

"I am tired of hearing Catholic politicians say, 'I am personally opposed
to whatever, but I can't impose my moral judgment on others,' " said
Bishop Joseph A. Galante of Dallas. "That's nonsense. They do it on other
issues...That's a weaseling out."

The bishops said they were prompted to act by a document issued in
January by Pope John Paul II. That document outlined the responsibilities
of Catholics actively involved in politics. Cardinal Theodore E.
McCarrick, the archbishop of Washington, suggested that the bishops
examine how to deal with Catholic politicians who do not heed the
Vatican's urgings.

No names were mentioned, but some Catholics have long lamented the
support for abortion rights voiced by Massachusetts Sens. Edward M.
Kennedy and John F. Kerry, both Catholics. In January, after the pope's
statement was issued, both men cited church-state separation as their
guiding principle.

Kerry, who is running for president, declared at the time: "As a
Catholic, I have enormous respect for the words and teachings of the
Vatican, but as a public servant I've never forgotten the lasting legacy
of President Kennedy, who made clear that in accordance with the
separation of church and state, no elected official should be 'limited or
conditioned by any religious oath, ritual, or obligation.' "