Erik Reuter wrote:

Leasing saves me about USD8,000 per year over buying, but it's not
always going to be that way...

Wow! I'd like to hear the details about why that is the case. Are you driving 60K miles a year? Some unusual tax situation?

Not that many, but a fair bit (that many kilometres). I'm leasing over USD100,000 worth of automobile, which skews the numbers a bit. Plus Australian child support is based on taxable income (as a classic example, I'm looking after 2 of my children, and my ex-wife has the third, but I pay her about $15,000 per year and she contributes nothing) so any effect leasing has on reducing my tax is amplified in terms of the savings to me. I've also structured the leasing through a trust which allows me to offset some of my other income against the lease cost, leading to further savings.
I also tend to change vehicles every 2-3 years, which suits leasing better than buying.

Cheers
Russell C.