I just got back from seeing Return of the King (played hookey from work!), and seeing no one's commented on it yet, I thought I'd post some of my thoughts. I'll try to keep spoilers segregated to a separate section at the bottom for those who are concerned about that.

Capsule summary: Awesome. I'm still digesting it, but I'm thinking this was the best of the three. The three LOTR-heads I saw it with felt that even more strongly than I did. There were again some deviations from the book, but they weren't as jarring as those in TTT, and for sure two of the biggest missing pieces were filmed and are certain to be included on the extended edition.

Random thoughts:
-While the beginning of the movie has a slower pace, once it gets going, it just rips along. It didn't feel like a 3 hour and 20 minute movie at all.

- I heard a rumor that the version of ROTK originally submitted to the MPAA was 4:40 long. That suggests a *lot* of stuff was filmed, but cut for time. Hopefully it will all show up in the extended edition.

- The special effects were extremely impressive, and better-looking that FOTR and TTT. Some of the Minas Tirith shots that *had* to be models or matte shots looked totally real. The Battle of the Pelennor was very impressive.

- If you enjoyed Legolas' acrobatics in the last two films, he has a very cool scene in this one, less silly than the sliding-down-the-stairs-on-a-shield one at Helm's Deep. Overall, though, there seems to be less screen time for Legolas, and for Gimli as well.

- Fortunately, while Gimli has some funny lines, he doesn't come across as slapstick as he did in TTT. And, blessedly, no dwarf-tossing references this time.

- Bring a hanky with you. There are some very emotional scenes.

- I just got a chill recalling the beacon-lighting scene. The cinematography is simply amazing.

-------------------------------

Possible spoliers below:

- The Saruman scene was cut, but was filmed and PJ has stated it woul be on the EE. In the movie, Pippin still does find the palantir, gets into trouble with it, and has to leave with Gandalf, so the major course of events remains the same.

- The House of Healing scene(s) was cut, but was filmed and PJ has stated it also would be on the EE.

- The Scouring of the Shire was cut, and was not filmed. The Shire is in fine shape when they arrive. Despite that, the ending does not feel truncated. The movie continues for about 20 minutes past the destruction of the ring, with Aragorn's coronation, and the some Shire scenes, including Frodo and Gandalf's departure at the Grey Havens 4 years later. Even though I miss the scouring, it's a satisfying ending.

- The Paths of the Dead are still in it, but changed a fair bit. The changes are somewhat for the worse, but not in a way that significantly changes the eventual outcome.

- Some of Sam's adventure rescuing Frodo is cut out. From the way it is edited, I'm guessing a lot of it was filmed but cut for time. Sam's role as Frodo's protector is highlighted, and very touching at times. I was very gratified to see it wasn't minimized at all.

- Gandalf's stand-off with the Witch-King at the gate of Minas Tirith is (inexplicably) cut out. My friend says he actually saw the scene in one of the previews, so it was filmed and will most likely show up in the EE.

- The pukel-men are cut out. I have no idea if any of that was filmed.

- If you are worried (as I was, as it's a favorite scene of mine) about Eowyn and Merry's confrontation with the Witch-King, don't be. It follows the book closely.

- We get to see the whole Smeagol/Deagol ring-finding scene, with Andy Serkis (who does Gollum's voice) playing the pre-gollum Smeagol. Very cool.

- The oliphants look awesome

- The terrorizing effect of the Nazgul's cries is finally shown in ROTK. One gripe I had about FOTR and TTT was that in those films, it was creepy, but people more or less shrugged it off, whereas here it has a profound effect.

- Possibly my biggest gripe is that in the Battle at the Black Gate, the forces Aragorn brings are rather skimpy, to say the least. In the book, it was a much larger, more credible, army.

- Another nagging gripe is that while characters discuss the growing darkness, it never really gets that dark, and the darkness (or lack thereof) doesn't really have much effect upon the orcs.