On Sunday 2003-12-21 16:38, Alberto Monteiro wrote:
> I read a note in a br newspaper yesterday, and it basically said
> something like this: "hey, folks, you think the USA is a christian
> country, but it's not; in fact, christians have been persecuted
> with violence, with the g*vernment approval"
>
> And then he listed what he thought was happening. Since
> the USA listmembers don't seem to say these things, I guess
> he is wrong. He mentioned things like:

He's not so much wrong as (probably) in a lunatic fringe of ultra-conservative
evangelical christians.  Government school systems in the US are
intentionally decentralized.  School districts (in most states) tend to be
local affairs.  In the Greater Phoenix area we must have over a dozen
individual districts (polities with their own elections, budgets, and
policies) for grade schools and half that number of districts for secondary
schools.  There are more school districts than municipalities.

> * public schools forbid kids to wear christian symbols,
> including carrying a bible to school

This would probably be unconstitutional.  Minors do not have complete rights
to freedom of speech--especially at school--but a Bible wouldn't be obscene
or objectionable.

No doubt it has happened, but when it occurs it is an aberation.

> * public schools punish kids that pray or proselityse.

There is a difference between younger and older children.

Children CAN pray.  There might be restrictions, mostly their would not be
allowed to interfere with the education of others, and maybe of themselves.
(Muslims might be expected to perform obligatory prayers between classes, for
example.  Evangelical Christians might need to pray quietly so as not to
disturb others.)

PUBLIC prayers in istructional settings are out.

Proselityzing is problematic.  It tends to be permitted at secondary schools
so long as it doesnt interfere with instruction.

Schools CANNOT endorse prosyletizing or any prayer.  This tends to piss some
conservatives off.  They don't like some logical extensions of the no
establishment clause.

> * public schools suspend and fire teachers that profess
> a Christian faith

They cant.  That would violate the Constitution.  This also means that a
teacher is limited about overt actions they take based on that faith,  they
cannot try to convert kids, force students to pray, insist God exists (though
they could say that they personally believe God or gods exists), and they
might be compelled to teach evolution--though in practice a teacher can teach
evolution and try to convince his or her students evolution is bunk, and some
do.

> * it's ok to claim anti-christian slogans in front of churches,
> like "bring in the lions!"

Yep.  That is protected speech.  You cannot incite a riot or a crime, so long
as you don't advocate criminal activity you can picket churches and slander
religion.

> * a student that mentions anything anti-islamic is forced to
> spend hours in reeducating classes, where he must study
> and recite the Quram

Schools tend to discourage hate speech.  (Remeber minors, especially
pre-teens, have limited free-speech protection, and they have *less*
protection when at school.)  Virulent anti-Islamic statements at school or
worse, slurs directed at actual people are likely to result in some sort of
sensitivity training.  This is indoctrination, no matter what supporters
might say.  In that sort of environment the trainee WILL have to study Islam,
and depending on the program might actually have to study and/or memorize
verses from the Quran.  NOTE that the intent would not be conversion (that
would be unconstitional).  The hope is that the trainee will be less
suceptible to hateful ideas and have an attitude more suited to living and
working peacfully and productively in a multi-racial and multi-ethnic
country.