Very good!

In fact, so good I'll let you explain the rest of the statement of the Poincare Conjecture . . .

;-)

At 08:09 PM 1/9/04, David Hobby wrote:
"Ronn!Blankenship" wrote:
> >I'm too sophomoric to bother to read.
>
> "A is homeomorphic to B" means that there is a homeomorphism which maps A
> to B.  A homeomorphism is a bicontinuous bijection.

A bijection is a function that is one-to-one and onto.
A function is a particular kind of set of ordered pairs.
A function is one-to-one iff ...

        I have a vision of producing a "definition tree" for
the word homeomorphism, which I'll write as an outline:

homeomorphism
        bicontinuous
                continuous
                        open set (undefined term)
                        inverse image
                inverse
        bijection
                one-to-one
                        image
                onto
                        image (O.K., so it's not a tree...)
                function
                        Cartesian product
                                ordered pair (undefined?)

And I'm sure I left some stuff out.

---David

-- Ronn! :)

Who has his hands full on another list attempting to explain causality violation to laypeople . . .