Trent Shipley wrote:

>> You mean: Earth (homeworld), Mars, Venus (crap) [what about the Moon?],
>> and the 8 colonies: Deemi, Dezni, Horst, Omnivarium, Calafia,
>> Atlast, and NuDawn? Oops, I counted _seven_, you missed Garth.
>
> [Yes, the Moon counts as a major colony.  But I didn't count it here.
> First we can surmise that a lot of races will colonize convenient moons,
> per Buyer on Jijo.  Second, it is NOT terraformable so not applicable to
> this discussion.]
>
> So a total of 9 respectable leasholds

Ok

> Homeworld
> 1. Earth
>
> Class-C+
> 2. Calafia
>
> Class-B
> 3. Deemi
> 4. Dezni
> 5. Garth
> 6. Horst
> 7. Omnivarium
>
> Class-T(C-)
> 8. NuDawn
>
> Class-T(B)
> 9. Atlast

We still miss one.

> First, to my way of thinking a Class-A leased planet needs to have some
> life (probably algal mat stage) and be terraformable.  Would you believe
> that such a planet would exist in the Alpha Centuri system?

Why not? The early explorations _did_ find ashes, which might be an
indication that life could still exist on those planets.

> Second, how does putting a Terragen Class-A colony in Alpha Centuri help us
> get a 10th B or C lease?

Alpha Centauri would be the 2nd lease. IIRC, at the time of Sundiver
Earth had 3 colonies.

> (Also, please explain Azimov joke.)

Asimov placed the first Spacer world around Tau Ceti, and named
it "Aurora", that means Dawn, and sometimes "New Dawn". So,
(Uplift Universe)'s first colonists to Tau Ceti's planet would name it
"New Dawn", in honour of Asimov. [and Mudaun is not Gal7, it's
a corruption of New Dawn]

Alberto Monteiro