On Sunday 2004-01-18 13:08, Robert J. Chassell wrote:
>     Robert J. Chassell wrote:
>     >   * An air-augmented chemical rocket.  Currently, rockets carry all
>     >     the oxygen they need with them.  An air-augmented chemical rocket
>     >     operates part of the time as a ram jet, taking in oxygen from the
>     >     atmosphere.  This reduces the mass of oxidizer the rocket must
>     >     carry.
>
>     I don't see - philosophically - how this can be an advantage.
>     "Ramming" air is essentially a collision problem, that
>     significantly reduces the speed of the rocket. If you carry the
>     oxigen with yourself, it is moving with the speed of the rocket.
>
> Yes, there are problems with a ram jet.  But when you carry the oxygen
> with yourself, you have to accelerate it.  That takes a great deal of
> oxidizer and fuel.
>
> The best estimates I have seen are that a combined cycle rocket/ram
> engine has the equivalent of a specific impulse in the 600s (i.e., the
> equivalent of a pure rocket with an exhaust velocity of 6 km/sec,
> although its actual exhaust velocity is lower), where a nuclear
> thermal engine has a specific impulse of 800 - 900 (8 - 9 km/sec) and
> a hydrogen-oxygen engine, like the Space Shuttle main engines, has a
> specific impulse in the 400s, (4 km/sec) and its solid fuel rocket
> engines -- which enable the shuttle to boost -- are have a lower
> specific impulse.

First point:

As I see it there are three ways to get things into orbit (or a battle)
1) Use a gun or variation on the theme of a gun.  Cheapest if you want to put
many payloads on targets.  Hard on payloads.

2) Airplane.  Intermediate

3) Missle (usu. a rocket)

2nd Point:

Why couldn't you build a lauch vehicle with a fan-jet 1st stage (recoverable),
Ram or scram jet 2nd stage (stage and recovery both optional) and a rocket
2nd or 3rd stage (disposible)?  Then you wouldn't need a combination
ram-jet/rocket.