OK guys, you're my last resort on this one.  A long,
long time ago I read a short story by Algis Budrys
named, I think, Shadow on the Stars.  It was about a
mercenary military genius hired by an alien empire,
who ended up being a human in disguise.  Sounds sort
of dumb, but I actually ended up liking it a lot.  It
read as if it was part of a larger series.  IIRC, the
ending was something like "And all roads now led to
Earth.  To wily, scheming Earth.  The die had been
cast."  Which sure reads like a lead-in to a series to
me.  Does anyone else on this list have any idea what
I'm talking about?  Does this sound familiar?  Was it
part of a series?  Have I, in fact, lost my mind (note
that the answer to this question is not necessarily
related to the previous ones)?

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]