I have seen a couple of liberal foreign policy wonks say the real strategic
asset in the Middle East would be energy independence.  The logic goes
something like this.  The Middle East has four major strategic factors.

1) Petroleum.
a distant 2) Israel
a distant 3) Location. It's next to everything and sometimes you want to use
the Suez Canal or fly over it.
4) Angry people that it sometimes exports.

If it weren't for oil we could ignore Saudi Arabi, Iraq and Iran.  If
Americans weren't such petroleum junkies the Middle East would be less
important than sub-Saharan Africa.  (Note, it is not enough just to avoid
Middle Eastern oil, since there is a global market for crude.)

So these pundits, who know foreign policy but nothing more than any lay person
about engineering, say it is obvious.  Tax and regulate energy consumption
(especially petroleum), build nuke plants, dam any remaining rivers, and
spend a *LOT* of money researching conservation and alternative energy
sources--especially substitutes for petroleum.  Then spend the money you
raised from the new energy taxes to subsidize implementing the new
technologies.

Questions:

1) What are the costs and benefits of energy taxation as a means to reduce
demand for strategic independence?

2) Is there any hope that research would produce a substitute for petroleum
and natural gas based alternatives?  (My suspicion is that this is where it
falls down, that energy experts [read oil economists and executives] believe
that natural gas and crude are the only viable energy sources.

2a) What about coal gas coversion?