<<http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion/0104/25history.html>>

Dumbing down our past doesn't serve our future

The state has unveiled sweeping changes it wants to make in the K-12
curriculum. A high school history teacher says the plan will gut the
subject he has taught for 25 years. But the state superintendent says the
new curriculum will make Georgia's schools the best.

By JOSEPH JARRELL

The Georgia Department of Education recently unveiled a draft of the new
high school history curriculum. Officials tout it as "world class." It's
not. They describe it as "rigorous" and "strengthened." It's neither.
With much fanfare, spokesmen say it will raise expectations. It won't.

While presented as part of the state's vision of "leading the nation in
improving student achievement," the new curriculum will actually result
in nothing more than dumbing down world history and U.S history courses.

Remember the childhood story of the king who wanted all to see his fine
new attire? In the old fable, the emperor was actually naked. Such is the
case here. The grand parade of sound bites and press releases
notwithstanding, the emperor has no clothes.

Of course, in the new curriculum, history will have fewer emperors. The
current high school world history course surveys civilization from the
earliest times to the present. The new curriculum calls for teaching only
the period from 1500 to the 21st century. Students will no longer study
such figures as Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Alexander the Great, Julius
Caesar, Cleopatra, William the Conqueror or Joan of Arc.

"The Iliad" and "The Odyssey" will not be mentioned. The development of
democratic government in Greece and the fall of the Roman Empire will be
skipped. Jesus, Muhammad, the Buddha and Confucius are not to be found in
the new curriculum. Great civilizations like ancient Egypt will no longer
merit study, and the concept of feudalism will not be discussed.

The present 11th-grade U.S. history course covers the Exploration period
to today. In the proposed changes, teachers will spend two or three weeks
discussing the foundation of our country, with the remaining time devoted
to studying events from 1876 to the present. Gone is any mention of the
Louisiana Purchase or Lewis and Clark. There will be no discussion of
Indian removal and the Trail of Tears.

Students probably will not be remembering the Alamo; it won't be a topic
of discussion in Georgia's high schools. Daniel Webster and Henry Clay
will be omitted, as well as Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass and the
Underground Railroad.

Search in vain for discussion of the Civil War; that topic is off limits.
In a course entitled "American History," students will not study our most
devastating war. There is no mention of Fort Sumter, Abraham Lincoln,
Robert E. Lee or anything else associated with those years.

Though teachers supposedly have no time to discuss topics essential to
understanding our heritage, the curriculum suggests they have their
students write a 1920s radio drama. Teachers are also encouraged to
assign essays about dating in the Jazz Age and to show segments from "All
in the Family," "Good Times" and "Chico and the Man."

I have yet to talk to any teacher who likes the new curriculum, though I
am sure there are some who favor the idea of teaching less. The misguided
rationale behind the hastily prepared revision is that we teach too much
history in high school. The solution? Eliminate 40 percent of the current
coursework.

Education officials note that much of the material removed from the high
school courses will be taught in grades four through seven. They ignore
the fact that elementary and middle school students lack the maturity
necessary to grasp the importance of many of the events, people and
concepts.

Short cuts unwelcome

Certainly it is a constant challenge to complete the present curriculum.
I often feel as though I am running a marathon; however, like any runner,
I feel a sense of pride when my students and I complete the race. I know
that those who have passed the course have learned an enormous amount.

Would it be easier to teach less? Of course. Would the new curriculum
reduce my workload? Doubtlessly. But like so many other history teachers,
I know that while claiming to seek the road to excellence, educrats are
really leading us down the path of least resistance.

There is also a sinister element to the changes. States are facing new
federal mandates to improve test scores. Interestingly, states can devise
many of the tests used to measure this improvement. While mandating that
we teach less, Georgia will prepare assessments that test less.
Interesting formula: teach less, test less, brag more.

Imagine a similar approach with math. Teach half the multiplication
tables and test only the half that is taught. Surely scores would rise
and the headlines would scream that math scores improved! But students
suffer when perception becomes more important than learning.

Wisdom in short supply

The state Education Department plans to spend thousands of dollars to
train history teachers about the new curriculum. Teachers will
collectively groan when they read about these "professional development"
seminars. We will be held captive for hours while people with
substantially less classroom experience tell us how to teach.

Oh, the wisdom of those who rule! Millions of dollars are being slashed
from the education budget, but the state plans to spend thousands
training veteran history teachers to teach less.

What will be the net result of the proposed changes? Those in charge will
proclaim it a success. Contrived tests will probably yield desired
scores.

But in a few years the truth will emerge. We will read surveys detailing
the number of Georgia high school students who have no understanding of
the Civil War. Newspaper articles will document the ridiculous ignorance
among our teenagers regarding ancient civilizations. We will flush with
embarrassment when students say "the Gettysburg what?"

The public will demand, and rightfully so, a broad, thorough coverage of
history on the high school level. Taxpayers will then be forced to pay
for the development of yet another curriculum.

Let us save ourselves trouble, expense and time by acknowledging that
diluting our history courses solves nothing. In spite of efforts to make
the new curriculum sound plausible, it is a terrible disservice to all
Georgians. We should never seek to do less; never diminish our
expectations; never weaken our standards. If we are to demand the best
from our students, then surely they deserve only the best from us.