From: Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Good and evil (was Re: Reviews for Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ")
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:51:21 -0800

Travis Edmunds wrote:

Ah yes. You "believe". I for one, believe that views like that, hold back any sort of honest discourse.

I'm unclear on the antecedent of "views like that." Theirs, or mine?

Yours of course. After all you said you "believe".

Furthermore, to brand something evil, is to show either a narrow-minded approach to things, or a faithful belief in what you are spoon-fed.

No room for it to be my point of view on what is good or evil?

There's plenty of room for that Nick. But when your "beliefs" interfere with the open discourse of this forum, you become just as bad as those you despise. Furthermore, I hesitate to think that the cause of religiously fanatical hate mongering is being furthered by someone quoting so-called "evil" comments. Especially on this forum. For that matter, we probably shouldn't talk about anything other than good wholesome sci-fi, with no more than an action based plot which never deviates from space battles, and which certainly doesn't bring forth controversial ideas. It's safer that way right?

Look, I'm not being argumentative just to be argumentative. It's just that I vehemently disagree with what you said, and I really do think that views like yours really do hold back, thinking, on any sort of acceptable level here on this forum.

Prove to me however, that evil is a substantial thing and I may change my view of evil being a man-made concept.

What would the nature of such a proof be? I believe that giving credibility to such views, by republishing them here, causes harm in the ways that you mention. They polarize the discussion, which pits two narrow-minded groups against each other, as they accept the spoon-fed simplifications offered by their "side."

How does one give credibility to such views in the way that you mention? Other than these people doing a google search for their own quotes and finding them here, there is no basis for what you say. And when that particular issue comes face to face with what we are "allowed" and "not allowed" to talk about here, I think it gets greatly overshadowed. How in Gods name (pun intended) can we put a lid on what we discuss? For surely, that is where your original comments lead.

Proof? I think it is self-evident that treating important issues as black and white is bad.

Nick

It's been my experience that nothing in this world is black & white. Combine that with the fact that you treated this issue as black & white, and you have an augument on your hands.

I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone; especially you Nick. But I honestly can't believe how closed-minded people can be at times. It's amazing.

-Travis