Nice sentiments Dan. But how can we avoid angst? How can we avoid emotion? Especially since we are, to a fairly large degree, governed by our emotions.

-Travis "one things lead to another..." Edmunds

Meaning that, no matter what one says, it always opens up at least one more door.

From: "Dan Minette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Are ad honomin attacks ever justified? Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:48:58 -0600

There's a good general rule about attacking the idea put forth by someone,
not the person.  But, I've noticed that we all make exceptions to that
rule.  I was musing on when those exceptions are justified, and when they
are not.

Let me ask a number of questions:

If a preacher regularly preaches against adultery, does finding that he has
been cheating on his wife with multiple partners over the last 30 years
diminish his authority to keep on admonishing others?  Especially, if he
denies it? Does he need to publicly confront his own sinfulness before
continuing to admonish others for theirs?

If a popular expert on child rearing turns out to have really botched the
rearing of their own children, does that lower  one's opinion of their
work?

Is it fair to bring up that someone railing against those drug users was an
illegal drug user himself for much of the time?  Is it fair to point out
that he yells and screams about police action against him that was in line
with what he advocated for others?

Is it relevant to argue that a policy being advocated by one's political
opposition is in the personal best interest of themselves and their
friends? Is it a fair criticism to state they are doing it for personal
instead of public reasons?

If someone was given a bye from going to Viet Nam because of who his daddy
was; is that at all relevant his ability to talk about those who opposed
the war being unpatriotic?

If someone slides by a homicide conviction because of political
connections, is that at all relevant to any of his statements; even
statements criticizing his political opponents for using political
connections for personal gain?  Is there some need to acknowledge that he
did it too; especially since his case was a far more serious offence?

I'd like to propose that we still refrain from attacking each other's
motives for writing, but that some of the discussions of who's opinions we
respect can take in to account situations like I've described above.  I'd
also like to suggest that, when we do, we make the linkage explicit.  For
example, "I have a hard time accepting any claim  by Ted Kennedy of his
opponents using their political power for personal gain because he used his
political power to get off a vehicular homicide conviction without even a
trial.   He should either address his own sins in that manner or shut up
about the lesser sins of others."

or

"I have a very hard time taking anything Rush says seriously because he
uses the very loopholes he condemns for others.  He seems to be motivated
more by the right people getting by than a genuine concern about the
nation."

I'm proposing this as an aid to pleasant, spirited discussions, instead of
a rule I want enforced.  If someone wants to respond by personally
insulting me; I'm not going to try to get them censured.  It is merely my
opinion concerning how we can have more fun and less angst in our debates.

I would also, personally, like more arguments based on reason, and fewer on
emotion.  I get emotional too, don't get me wrong.  But, I enjoy trying to
find what the best solution is more than simply reinforcing my own ideas.
I try to be as hard or harder on demanding good arguments in favor of
things I believe in than those opposed.  In this manner, I hope to both
improve my understanding, and better support those things I believe in.  If
the arguments of an opponent are so strong that I cannot find sufficient
support, then I try to be open to changing my mind.  I know, for example,
that Gautam and I have changed each others minds on several points.

Dan M.

Dan M.