Dan Minette wrote:

I'm going to be doing some analysis using numbers, but I want to be sure
that there isn't an arguement on what a Christian fundamentalist is.  I'd
say that a Christian fundamentalist is one who, when asked:

Which of these statements comes closest to describing your feelings about
the Bible? The Bible is the actual Word of God. The Bible is the Word of
God but not everything in it should be taken literally. OR, The Bible is a
book written by men and is not the Word of God."

would give the first answer. Does that sound reasonable?

I'm sure a fundamentalist would give the first answer, but that wouldn't define them as a fundamentalist. I believe the, er, fundamental characteristic of fundamentalism (in common usage) is a fixation on a particular interpretation of a belief system as the Truth.

Thus, Christian fundamentalists believe that there is only one true way to be Christian and that they know what that one way is.

Capitalist fundamentalists believe that there is only one true way to have a free economic system and that they know what that one way is.

In any case, the error is imagining one has perfect knowledge, which is especially ironic in Christianity, which makes our imperfection rather clear.

Or, my short answer: fundamentalism is being "stuck" in a set of beliefs.

At least that's what I believe, subject to further interpretation.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett
Director, Business Intelligence Services