Ralph Nader, whose third-party White House bid in 2000 was blamed by
some Democrats for helping elect President Bush, said on Sunday he
will try again this year as an independent.
Ignoring pleas from Democrats to stay out of the race, the veteran
consumer advocate said he wanted to challenge the two parties'
stranglehold on the political process and their shared addiction to
corporate interests.

"Washington is corporate-occupied territory, and the two parties are
ferociously competing to see who is going to go to the White House and
take orders from their corporate paymasters," Nader said on NBC's
"Meet the Press."

Nader said claims that his candidacy would spoil efforts to beat Bush
in November were a "contemptuous" attempt to restrict democracy and
maintain a "two-party duopoly."

"It is an offense to deny millions of people who might want to vote
for our candidacy an opportunity to vote," he said, adding the
"corporate government" practiced by both parties had led to rollbacks
in labor, environmental, health care and economic standards.

"It's time to change the equation and bring millions of American
people into the political arena."

Nader's Green Party bid won nearly 2.9 million votes in 2000 and was
blamed for siphoning support from Democrat Al Gore -- particularly in
Florida, where Nader won 97,488 votes and Gore's loss by a bitterly
contested 537 votes cost him the presidency.

Nader started an exploratory committee late last year to raise money
for a presidential run. He had ruled out another bid for the Green
Party, which was split on his candidacy and will not pick its nominee
until this summer.

A public opinion poll in October found two-thirds of Americans did not
want Nader to run again, and Democrats from across the ideological
spectrum have asked him to stay out of the race.

A liberal Internet site, ralphdontrun.net, is devoted to urging Nader
not to run again, and Democratic Party chief Terry McAuliffe had met
with Nader to try to convince him to stay out.

"It's very unfortunate that Ralph decided to run," McAuliffe said on
CBS' "Face the Nation," adding: "There are people all over the country
wishing he hadn't done it."

Democrats expect Nader to have less of an impact this year than in
2000, saying party and left-wing activists have learned how wrong
Nader was when he claimed in 2000 there was no difference between the
two parties.

"I don't think he'll have a sizable impact, but it's terrible if he
goes ahead because it's about him, it's about his ego, it's about his
vanity and not about a movement," New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson said
on "Fox News Sunday."

Both Democratic presidential contenders, front-runner John Kerry and
rival John Edwards, told reporters they were not worried that a Nader
candidacy would hurt them if they face Bush in November.

"I think my campaign is speaking to a lot of the issues Ralph Nader is
concerned about," Kerry said. Edwards said "it will not impact my
campaign" because he could attract many of the voters who might
otherwise go to Nader.

Republicans tried not to celebrate the news. "Regardless of what Ralph
Nader does, President Bush is going to be re-elected in November,"
Republican Party chief Ed Gillespie said.

Nader admitted he would have difficulty meeting the requirements to
qualify for all 50 state ballots in the November election, describing
the process as "like climbing a cliff with a slippery rope."

"This isn't just our fight," he said. "This is a fight for all third
parties ... I don't think America belongs just to the Democratic and
Republican parties."




xponent

Spoiler Maru

rob


_______________________________________________
http://www.mccmedia.com/mailman/listinfo/brin-l

Reply via email to