On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 07:36:13PM -0700, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> I'm not clear on why you believe this.

You did read Dan's post? He made a number of good points about the costs
of the Iraq war.

The costs he and I are referring to are not just in casualties, they are
in opportunity cost in Afghanistan, foreign relations, and in dollars as
well. Add in the fact that WMD were not found, and it doesn't look to
me like it was worth it. I had thought before the war that things would
go better in Iraq and that foreign relations wouldn't suffer as much as
they have. Now I see I was wrong about that. My current prediction for
a favorable (not great, just okay) outcome in Iraq, long-term, is much
less than 50% now. As you say, things are not going well and I don't see
any reasonable plan to improve them. But I could be wrong again!

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/