Deborah Harrell wrote:

[extensive snippage]

...Of course, I have no idea if this is what he
intended, but he's talking about the psychological
concept of "thrownness," and he describes it better
than many articles that purport to be /about/
thrownness.

There's a term that's new to me...sounds like the
state one is in after being unceremoniously dumped by
a sneaky equine... ;)

I think it originated with Martin Heidegger in his _Being and Time_. As I remind myself about it further (thank you, Google), I remember that it is as much philosophical as it is psychological -- it is in the area of personality theory. It's described in some detail in a paper at http://www.focusing.org/apm_papers/fox.html.

As for your observation, horses are too smart for me. They know that they can kill me without hardly trying, and have attempted to do so once or twice.

Dave