To be fair, Leonardo did design the device, as opposed to Niven just
describing his hulls.

I realized that after I posted.

 And it is possible that one was actually built
by Leonardo.
I recall that some of Leonardo's designs have actually been built and
that they worked. IIRC a pump is the best example.

How far do you have to take an idea along the road to a finished
product before it could be considered an "invention"?

Don't think there's any hard-and-fast rule. More than a sketch, I suppose, and less than a fully working model. Schematics, a real sense of the physical principles involved, something that would enable an engineer to figure out how to build it. Anything along those lines, up to and including a prototype and/or a patent application?

"I always knew I'd see the first man on the Moon. I never thought I'd see the last." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle