Dan sure has lots of questions:

> 1) How strong was the emphasis on getting information vs.
> keeping professional and humane standards?
>
> 2) What training did the guards have?
>
> 3) What was the role of the private contractor?
>
> 4) How much supervision did the guards have?
>
> 5) How easy was it to report abuses?
>
> 6) How were the guards regularly reminded of the absolute
> need to continue humane treatment?

What happened has nothing to do with lack of training. It has to do with
lack of adult supervision. What those guards did was no different than what
they were doing a few years go in high school: giving swirlies to the nerds.
They did it then because teacher couldn't be watching them every second, and
they did this crap now because they thought it was funny and that they would
still get away with it. Let's remember how old (young) all those involved
are.

I'm not excusing them. Every one of the soldiers involved should do hard
jail time, and the trials should be expedited. One dumbass prank too many,
and look what they've cost America in terms of moral high ground, and for no
reason. All our enemies, including the New York Times and Ted Koppel, are
already all over this.

Let's also remember that this is hazing, not torture. No wood chippers, no
blood splashing all over the place. It's not morally equivalent to what
Saddam did (as I've heard several media morons saying this morning).

You have to admit, though, some of those pictures were pretty funny.

Mike Lee
Islamic Moderate