--- Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm a bit disturbed that Rumsfeld, just now, appears
> to have been shocked
> as I have, and as you haven't.  My shock was
> partially based on the
> assumption that the US occupation force was
> competent enough to provide as
> good a prison environment as possible.  I expected
> there to be good
> supervision, and for treatment to be
> exemplary...mainly because it is very
> much in our self interest to do so.

Well, my lack of shock was more based on a (very)
cynical opinion of how organizations react under
stress, and an equally low opinion of how bad prison
conditions are in the US.  From what I could see, it
looked like the Stanford Prison Experiment run in real
life - but given what happened in that experiment,
nothing we saw was all _that_ suprising.

> She is not some private, she is a general.

To be fair, she also has a very high incentive to
claim that she was unable to succeed in her position,
whether or not that was the case.

> > Americans who
> > commit atrocities are, and should be, punished for
> > their crimes.  There is _nothing_ more important
> > facing the American military's justice system
> > right now.
>
> I agree with that.  I know that you are strongly
> pro-military, and that
> part of being pro-military is that you hold the
> military to high standards.
>
> One of the things that bothers me is that the senior
> leadership in Defense
> should have known about the high risk of prisoner
> abuse and should have
> taken significant steps to minimize the possibility.

Yes.  Clearly this was a massive screw-up.  My guess
is that this is one of the things that people just
don't think about.  Historically the human rights
record of American soldiers is exemplary - for
example, the reported incidents of problems caused by
American soldiers in Somalia versus those of _other
NATO units_ was orders of magnitude lower.  Similarly
in other units (this from a discussion with Charlie
Moskos of Northwestern).  There was, for example, no
equivalent of the incredible brutality shown by an
elite Canadian paratrooper regiment (IIRC).  A lot of
people (myself included) credited this to the higher
rate of integration of women into the American
military, on the theory that men tend to act more
decently in front of women and that women are less
likely to suffer from testosterone poisoning.  One of
the most shocking things here was seeing _women_
involved in the incidents.  Apparently we were all
wrong.

At any rate, in a purely analytical sense, here's my
guess as to what happened (assuming that this wasn't
ordered by higher-ups, which strikes me as unlikely
just because that would be too stupid for words).
Some high-value prisoners were probably being
aggressively interrogated.  That ethos spread through
much of the prison.  The particular guards involved
with this were a bunch of fuck-ups.  They picked up
that ethos, had no adult supervision (because, at
least in part and from my experience with them,
American officers tend to have a blind spot about
things like this, in part because of their excellent
historical record and in part because they're used to
dealing with highly competent regulars, not idiots
like these clowns, and those regulars would - I'm
guessing - never do anything so unimaginably stupid
and vile) and normal group dynamic behaviors - ones
that we see in experimental psychology all the time -
promptly asserted themselves, until you got the
atrocity that we saw here.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]