http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26255-2004Jun8.html

The ACLU is at it again, ruling that crosses may not be used as
Memorials to our war dead on Federal Land.   According to the "logic"
of this ruling, at minimum the US cemetary in Normandy is
unconstitutional, and very arguably the headstones at Arlington are
also unconstitutional.

Excerpt:
A federal appeals court has upheld a lower court decision that a
large white cross sitting on federal land in the Mojave desert
violates the constitutional guarantee of separation of church and
state and should be removed.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars erected a cross in 1934 in memory of
those who fought and died in World War I. A plaque explaining the
cross's purpose was placed at the foot of the structure, but the sign
disappeared long ago.

After being nearly destroyed several times, the cross -- originally
two pieces of wood nailed together and planted in the desert -- has
been changed several times. The latest version is made of two metal
pipes welded together and painted white.

"The [9th Circuit] said this case is really quite simple. Using a
sectarian religious symbol is not permissible on federal land," Peter
Eliasberg, managing attorney for the ACLU of Southern California,
said. "Sometimes you just have to hit them over the head three, four
or five times."

JDG