On Oct 27, 2004, at 2:59 PM, Nick Arnett wrote:

d.brin wrote:

Meanwhile, I am told that those marvelous placards at the Grand Canyon, telling about the layering of geological eras, wonderfully vivid before the eye, have been taken down and replaced with bible passages.....

I had to check on this one, since I couldn't imagine the park service doing this. It appears that a private group put them there 33 years ago; they were taken down last year in response to an ACLU letter, and then put back up a few days later.

But as far as I can see, they didn't replace anything.

I'm not knowing what geographical placards David might be referring to, but I found a couple of stories from last summe about an ACLU church-state controversy that resulted in the (temporary?) July 6 removal and (temporary?) July 23 restoration by the park service of three bronze plaques bearing verses from the Psalms at Hermit's Rest, Lookout Studio and Desertview tower that were put up by the the "Evangelical Sisterhood of Mary" in the 1960s.

I gave up trying to find out what happened after they were replaced. As of August 31, 2003, the Washington Times reported that they were restored "pending a decision from federal officials."

The plaques evidently were placed on concession buildings and were privately funded by the Evangelical Sisterhood, so it's not clear that they represented an unconstitutional establishment of religion (Which would have been? Judaism? Christianity?).

A couple of links for your enjoyment:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/128/11.0.html

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/living/religion/6331850.htm?1c

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20030831-121933-3836r.htm