Ruben wrote....
> I respectfully disagree that this technical point kills the idea.

WHAT?????  Didn't anyone tell you that when you disagree on this list that
you have to be abrasive and condescending? Hey don't go disrupting the
natural order of the Brin-L universe, other people might follow your
example.   :-) <---notice the smiley indicating jest

> I still think that the good arguments against this kind of ID
> are about politics, privacy, and freedom.  What if this ID is
> used to enforce unjust laws?
>
> Technical arguments, I would take as guides to improve the design.

All good points, putting aside the technical issues, I think that Erik was
absolutely right, it would come down to planning, design and policy.  My
fear is that Rumsfeld & Co. would get their way and we would be using an
access card every time we check our email online or check out a book at the
library.