At 12:55 AM 11/10/2004 -0800 Ruben Krasnopolsky wrote:
> "d.brin" wrote:
>>Some of you recall I used a metaphor - "the Union has been conquered
>>by the Confederacy".  Some ridiculed this, pointing to the Plains and
>>Mountain states,  forgetting that those areas DID allow slavery
>>before the Civil War.
>>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/rundgren/FREESTATES.jpg
>>I do wish this metaphor had been used in Indiana and Ohio, reminding
>>them of  ancestors who died at Gettysberg.
>
>I believe you are up to something here,
>something having to do with very deep and old cultural
>differences in American politics, old enough to go
>to the time of the original charters of the different colonies.

Oh please!    Did the Washington Redskins not teach us anything about
spurious correlations?

I've already pointed out one ridiculous aspect of this analysis.   Here is
another - how do you explain the red-blue county map?    Am I supposed to
believe that Upstate New York, Central PA, and California's Inland Empire
were/are all hotbeds of Confederate sympathy????

JDG