On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 17:49:10 -0800 (PST), Gautam Mukunda
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Since we've heard a lot about "Red States" and "Blue
> States" I thought posting a link to this graphic would
> be interesting.  I'd been planning on making it
> myself, but luckily someone much better at computers
> beat me to it.  Robert Vanderbei created a map of the
> US shaded down to the county level and shades each
> county according to the vote shares.  Note just how
> purple the country looks.
>
> http://www.kieranhealy.org/files/misc/purple_america_2004_small.gif

I just found this site which maps the election results on a state population
cartogram, which gives a better feel for the population proportions:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/
(Apologies if someone already posted this link and I missed it).

Most interesting is the version of a purple map done as a population cartogram:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/cartlinearlarge.png

On this map, you can really see how split the support is, even in most
of the "solid" Bush and Kerry states.