On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:18:09 +0000, William T Goodall
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/43o4j
>
> " In a study released this fall, the highway safety agency compared
> crash statistics for SUVs and other vehicles that had a
> stability-control system with the experience of identical models that
> lacked the technology. It found that SUVs with stability control had
> 63% fewer fatal single-vehicle crashes.
>
>  Cars with the systems had 30% fewer such crashes, which include
> spinouts and rollovers.
>
>  Researchers at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a nonprofit
> testing organization, have estimated that at least 7,000 lives could be
> saved each year if all vehicles were equipped with stability control
> systems.
>
>  Although stability control has been available on some U.S. models
> since the late 1990s, fewer than 10% of new vehicles sold here have the
> systems, compared with about half in Europe.
>
>  In the U.S. market, more emphasis has been put on such options as
> satellite navigation and elaborate sound systems than on stability
> control equipment. "

Blame the %$#*^&^& marketers.  Last I looked, stability control was
hardly offered on
anything but high end luxury and flagship-level vehicles here.  Even
traction control isn't
widely available, and that's been around far longer.  If available, I
would have taken
traction and/or stability control in a second over a GPS system or a
fancy sound
system for my minivan.

My guess is that they make more money by keeping these things as
luxury items than
they would if they were commonplace.