kerri wrote:

--- Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Does anyone else hear use Itunes extensively?

I do I do!

First, are you using this on mac or winders?

Winders.

1. Shuffle.  While I think that over a long time span the shuffle is
essentially random, I've noticed that over a shorter period it seems to
emphasize certain albums/artists (I'm working with a 4-5 thousand song
database).

Me too (4637 to be exact) I /think/ it weights towards highly
rated/listened to tracks, and then further within the genre of such
"popular" tracks; this is actually a really interesting thing to me, given
my job :)

Actually, I did a quick check and it seems to weight everything in the library pretty evenly over the long haul - it's only over a short period that it seems to favor one section of the db.

2. Clipping songs. Sometimes songs are cut off before they finish
playing. I'm pretty sure the same songs are effected time and again - in
other words it's not a random problem, but I have no idea why these
particular songs have problems. I am careful when I record my albums to
refrain from all other activity on the computer so I don't think that
I've corrupted the files, but I suppose that automatic stuff could be
interfering.

I've not noticed that, but you may want to turn on the option for "cross checking" or somesuch within the burning preferences.

It happens on relatively few songs - it's just irritating.

Is your crossfade setting maybe on, with a wierd attack/retreat value?

No crossfade is off.

3. Categorizing. The program has a real problem categorizing albums as
compilations. It almost never categorizes the real compellations
properly
but often categorizes regular albums as compilations. Very irritating!

Compilation support is teh suck. FREX, any box set (like, oh, Eric Clapton, Crossroads... or any techno album!) gets sorted as individual albums, even when marked as a compilation. Major annoyance. When I sort by artist, I want it to sort by artist, but keep compilations silo'd together.

If it was just box sets it wouldn't be as bad but frex it stuck LA Woman in the compilations folder along with numerous other albums that aren't remotely compilations. At the same time, the local radio station puts out a "Live from the Archives" collection every year (recommended, see http:\\www.kfog.com) and it creates a folder for _every_ artist on the collection. Pfffbbbtttt.

4. A friend of mine records his songs in m4A format and has a problem
with the albums and song titles being automatically named in Itunes - he has
to go through and name them one by one, but the folder and file names are
correct. When I copy some of his stuff, I have the same problem, but I
never have the problem when I record albums (using mp3)

I don't use m4A, but you know you can select entire albums and change their names, yes?

You can convert to MP3, is that what you mean?

I wonder if iTunes just doesn't read the equivalent id3 tags on m4a files?

Don't know. In any case I'm relatively happy with it. I used MusicMatch for over a year before switching to Itunes and while MM had more functionality it was very buggy so it wasn't a difficult decision to switch.

I also just bought a 30G Zen which I'm happy with so far - I've only had it for a few days. I have a little TravelSound audio player and an aux jack in my car so no more toting CDs around everywhere!

--
Doug