On Sunday 2005-02-06 22:17, Nick Arnett wrote:
> Robert G. Seeberger wrote:
> > And that comes right after AOL claimed that spam was going down and
> > that everybody was saying that spammers had given up… It seems that
> > spammers have adapted. How can they use the ISP's infrastructure and
> > why can't the ISPs prevent them from doing it?
>
> And in case anyone is wondering what the answer is to that last question...
> it's that the spammers are hijacking computers via malware and exploits and
> then using the victim's ISPs to send spam.
>
> Nick

Nick, is this what you are saying?

Spammer compromises customer's computer (actually many customers' computers,
preferably through a Trojan EULA that makes the whole thing legal).

Compromised computers are used to send spam (via their own ISP, naturally).

It follows that:
-- A careful spammer with many compromised computers can effectively force
ISPs to inspect the *contents* of all traffic since NOTHING can trusted.

--More aggressive spammers will cause even more headaches for ISPs because the
ISP will identify masses of traffic from customers with compromised nodes.
The ISP will quarantine compromised accounts.  If ISPs quarantine an account
repeatedly, then customers will get upset and move.  If they do not
quarantine compromised accounts, the ISP itself will start to get quarantined
by other ISPs..

I really do not get that angry with spammers.  They are just rational
entrepreneurs.